Rossinavi Sea Cat 40, phytoplankton idea

Rossinavi has presented the Sea Cat 40, a new all-electric catamaran concept designed by Fulvio De Simoni

by Marco Mariani

Rossinavi’s concept is inspired by phytoplankton, marine algae, which play a key role in the food chain and live in the upper layers of the oceans where they can convert sunlight into energy for their survival. At night, the energy stored during the day is released, making the phytoplankton bioluminescent.

Federico Rossi
Federico Rossi

«THE IDEA IS TO CREATE A LINK BETWEEN NATURE, ELECTRICITY AND THE AVANT-GARDE. SUPPORTED BY THE MOST ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES, SEA CAT 40 IS ABLE TO OFFER EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE WHILE PRIORITISING THE ENVIRONMENT, A REAL CHALLENGE FOR THE FUTURE OF BOATING AND A MILESTONE FOR THE YARD».
FEDERICO ROSSI

Similarly, the Sea Cat 40 is designed to absorb sunlight and convert it into energy using photovoltaic capabilities. The catamaran can store and harness clean energy thanks to its advanced battery technology and solar panels. The panels produce enough kWh to meet the daily electricity consumption of five or six average American households.

Fulvio De Simoni has designed the exterior and interior architecture of the Sea Cat 40, characterized by large open spaces, including a 100 sqm salon & dining area, 5 guest cabins and 4 crew cabins for a total of 7 staff members.

Fulvio De Simoni
Fulvio De Simoni

This green energy can be used for on-board services, making the cruising experience quiet and environmentally friendly, or to power a villa on land. In the case of transatlantic crossings, the catamaran can sail continuously for 20 days, covering a distance of 3,850 NM at a speed of 8 knots. The Sea Cat 40’s sophisticated artificial intelligence and centralised control system enable it to maintain the state of charge of the batteries between 40% and 80%, so that the charge is preserved and they last longer.

In the case of transatlantic crossings, the catamaran can sail continuously for 20 days, covering a distance of 3,850 nm at a speed of 8 kn.

Ocean crossing with Sea Cat 40 aims to have a very low environmental impact; the catamaran can be programmed to sail 80% of the crossing in full-electric mode, supported by diesel-electric mode for the remaining 20%. On day-to-day use, the catamaran can run 100% in full-electric mode.

ROSSINAVI
Via Marina di Levante, 4/B
I-55049 Viareggio (LU)
T. +39 0584 384227
www.rossinavi.it
[email protected]

LENGTH OVERALL:
42,75 m – 140′ 3″
MAXIMUM BEAM:
13,75 m – 45′ 1″
DRAFT:
1,80 m – 5′ 11″
GROSS TONNAGE:
< 500 GT
GUESTS:
2 + 8
GUEST CABINS:
1 + 4
CREW MEMBERS:
1 + 6
CREW CABINS:
1 + 3
SUPERSTRUCTURE MATERIAL:
Aluminium
HULL MATERIAL:
Aluminium
EXTERIOR DESIGN:
Fulvio De Simoni Yacht Design
INTERIOR DESIGN:
Fulvio De Simoni Yacht Design

(Rossinavi Sea Cat 40, phytoplankton idea – Barchemagazine.com – February 2022)